For many property developers buying a house without a mortgage may be the only option. This is especially true if you’re over 55 years old. But, don’t worry. There are plenty of other options available. One option is to enter into property joint ventures with other investors. Another is to learn how to leverage the cash you have available. Whatever your situation, there are always many available strategies when it comes to raising finance for property development.
[0.32] Alternatives to mortgage finance?
[0.50] Talk to a mortgage broker
[1.23] Cash flowing strategies
[1.53] Property Joint ventures (JVs)
[2.27] Other strategies
[2.41] Buy-refurbish-sell (flipping)
[3.15] Join our FREE training course today
Today we’re looking at client’s question regarding how to go about raising finance for property development when you’re at an age which will make securing a mortgage more difficult.
So the question is…
“At 55 years old, I’m probably a bit late for mortgages. What is the best way to go about raising finance to buy property for buy-to-let?”
1. Raising Finance for Property Development
When it comes to purchasing a buy-to-let property, you are going to have to raise finance for it in some way. This can be a mortgage, you can buy it with cash, or you can enter into a joint venture agreement. If you are 55 years old or older this will present you with some difficulty when it comes to securing mortgage finance.
Rob Jones Answers Your Questions About Investing In Property
- Should I Use My Deposit to Buy One House or Two?
- Do Estate Agents Have Any Secrets?
- What Kind of Contracts do Property Sourcers Need to Use?
- Property Sourcing | What Should My Finder Fee Be?
- What Qualifies as a Quality Property Sourcing Deal?
- What Is The Best Way To Work Out Rental Demand?
- How Do I Go About Raising Property Investment Finance?
- There Are Lots Of Properties On The Market – Is This Good Or Bad?
- Is Investing in Property with only £20,000 Realistic?
- What Are The Property Growth Areas Of Manchester?
- How Do I Find Repossessed Property To Buy in London?
- Should I Invest In South Manchester Or The City Centre?
- How Do I Evict A Tenant? (Section 8 Notice to Quit)
- How Can I Buy a House Without a Mortgage?
- What Exactly Is Property Due Diligence?
We aren’t mortgage brokers so we can’t give you direct advice in terms of what would be best suited to your circumstance. I recommend that you do speak to a mortgage broker or financial advisor. Who knows? You might be pleasantly surprised. There may well be a few options out there that are entirely suitable for your situation. Options that will allow you to secure a mortgage for your buy to let investment.
3. How to Buy A Home With Cash
If you want to grow a property portfolio but you’re not in a position to raise finance using a mortgage then there are other options and strategies that don’t involve mortgage finance.
Some of these alternative strategies are what we would call cash-flowing strategies. So, instead of using mortgage finance to buy the property you would initially have to build up a pot of funds to allow you to buy those properties with cash. Obviously being able to put a cash offer on a house would be great but not everyone can do this. It could also be that to have some access to mortgage products but you will need a large deposit. So, using a cash-flow strategy first, instead of jumping in with a buy to let strategy may be one option.
4. What Are Joint Ventures?
Another strategy is using something called property joint ventures. This is another strategy that doesn’t require mortgage finance and it’s entirely flexible and non-dependent on your age and experience. It is simply a case of finding and partnering with an investor who is willing to fund your buy to let investments.
I’ve included a few links below that will give you more information on this process.
- The 5 CRUCIAL Elements To Every Successful Property Joint Venture
- How To Survive Your First Property Joint Venture
- Get Started In Property With No Money – Using Joint Ventures
- Joint Venture Casestudy – Levenshulme
- JV Deals | Client Testimonial – Stuart Mather
- JV Deals | Client Testimonial – Nick Flewin
- Joint Venture Partnerships with Property Investments UK
And for more information see joint ventures in property transactions — overview from Lexis Property.
5. Other Methods for Raising Finance For Property Development
There are many other methods for raising finance for property development but you will need to think beyond building a simple buy to let portfolio. Maybe, over a period of time, you can recycle your deposit pot to buy a number of properties. Maybe you can split your deposit pot into two right from the outset. Maybe you might want to consider flipping your properties. That is to say adopt a strategy of buying houses in need of renovation, doing the necessary work and selling them for a profit. You might not need a portfolio at all if you can get the same return by doing this.
6. Putting It All Together
So if you are 55 years old or older all is most certainly not lost. There are plenty of options for raising finance for property development and plenty of ways of buying a house without a mortgage.
Here are a few links to get you started. I’ve included articles on bridging loans, articles on refinancing strategy and a few other things besides. I hope you find the material useful and if you have any further questions don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- 7 Crucial Facts About Bridging Loans All Developers Must Know
- Retire Early with Property – Using A Buy-Refurbish-Refinance Strategy
- The Basics On How To Become A Property Developer
- Which Houses Offer The Best Property Development Opportunities?
- Raising Funds for Your Next Investment Property
Join Our FREE Training
Thank you for reading this article. If you liked this content then why not join our free online property training course?
In there we cover a range of different property strategies to help you get started on building a long-term property portfolio or creating a cash flowing property business.
We also look at ways to increase your return on investment with any of the properties you may be considering and we also have a couple of cheat sheets and downloadable documents.
Just click the image below to join our free training course today.
We have also put together a FREE 1.5 hr webinar on how to get started in property and find deals right now on your doorstep which you can watch here.
Or, if you prefer to read rather than watch you can access the full transcript here.
If you have any questions or thoughts you’d like to share about how to buy a house without a mortgage then please leave them in the comments section below.
Alternatively, you can get in touch via our Facebook page.
We’d love to hear from you and as always we’re happy to help.